Posted July 19th @ 10:05 pm by Boyan Tsolov

In my previous post I linked to a terrific website (Working with XML on Android) which describes how you can read and parse XML documents in Android. The code supplied by that website used polymorphism to show 4 different methods for parsing the XML data. I vowed to simplify that and share the new source code.

To download the AndroidXmlSimple project click here. You will be taken to another page where you can click to download to the ZIP file.

Below are some instructions on setting yourself up with this source code and customizing it for your own XML data.

1. Download the file AndroidXmlSimple.zip

2. Unzip it on your disk.

3. Open Eclipse and import the Android project into your workspace.

01 Import

4. The project will look like this:

02 project

5. This new project opens up an XML document (the same RSS feed as the original example) and displays it using a ListActivity.

6. The classes are:

- MessageList.java: the main Activity

- Message.java: object that stores the parsed XML data

- RssHandler.java: object that parses the XML data

- BaseFeedParser.java: object that initiates the starting point and configurations for the XML data that should be parsed.

7. To customize this project for your own feed, edit the file BaseFeedParser.java.

Update the URL location here:

static String feedUrlString = "http://www.androidster.com/android_news.rss";

Update the hierarchy of nodes here:

static final String RSS = "rss";
static final String CHANNEL = "channel";
static final String ITEM = "item";

Update the node names that repeat here:

static final String PUB_DATE = "pubDate";
static final String DESCRIPTION = "description";
static final String LINK = "link";
static final String TITLE = "title";

And as in the previous post, if you change any names of the constants, you will need to update other sections of the code-base, for example below in BaseFeedParser.java, and in a few places in RssHandler.java.

item.getChild(TITLE).setEndTextElementListener(new EndTextElementListener(){
            public void end(String body) {
                currentMessage.setTitle(body);
            }
        });
        item.getChild(LINK).setEndTextElementListener(new EndTextElementListener(){
            public void end(String body) {
                currentMessage.setLink(body);
            }
        });
        item.getChild(DESCRIPTION).setEndTextElementListener(new EndTextElementListener(){
            public void end(String body) {
                currentMessage.setDescription(body);
            }
        });
        item.getChild(PUB_DATE).setEndTextElementListener(new EndTextElementListener(){
            public void end(String body) {
                currentMessage.setDate(body);
            }
        });

Please leave a comment if you download this ZIP file – I’d like to know if you found this useful. And let me know if it does what you expected after reading my post. Thanks!

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Android: Simplified source code for parsing and working with XML data and web services in Android « Morning Silence on August 12, 2010
  2. Pingback: Consumindo um Web Service com Android « SpitzerGeeK on October 29, 2010

92 Comments

1. Ventrix
    August 11, 2009 at 08:35

Very nice try and good example!

Unfortunately it works only for RSS 2.

RDF does now work, and it’s too common…

2. android2
    October 18, 2009 at 15:07

hello I read posts from kml and put them into a listview someone help me know

3. Sumit Asok
    December 19, 2009 at 02:31

You code is superb!.

But a little bit hard for beginners.

You can write a tutorial itself with those code.
    I am waiting for that. ( a little bit code explanation )

Keep the good work on.

4. Galip
    January 16, 2010 at 14:17

Hey thanks for the code it helped me A LOT.

I’m making an app for Android that uses a few webservices and your simple code works. It saved me a lot of time.

Anyways, I have a question.
    One of my webservices don’t work. Or better said, I can’t seem to get it to work :)

It’s this webservice:

Can you (or someone else) tell me how I can parse this kind of webservice (cuz this is not a regular XML-service)

Thanks in advance!

Galip

5. Stephen
    January 25, 2010 at 14:59

Thanks for publishing that. I’d found the IBM page before and this did indeed make it that bit simpler. I haven’t been able to run the code yet as I’m at work and fighting with the Android emulator to get it through the proxy. This did however lead me to try making the XML file local (which is my final aim anyway) as res/xml/android_news.xml and tried loading it by using:

Xml.parse(appContext.getResources().openRawResource(R.xml.android_news), Xml.Encoding.UTF_8, root.getContentHandler());

The debugger tells me it’s not well formed. Googling around for solutions at the moment but it seems everyone loading local files uses getResources().getXml(blah) and uses a PullParser.

If you’ve got any advice I’d love to hear it. Thanks again.

6. Felicia
    February 2, 2010 at 23:27

I have a question, i working on a currency exchange.
    So i need to the live data of different countries..
    So how shall go about to extract out the value of it?

Email me: shiqin02@hotmail.com

7. RandiR
    February 23, 2010 at 13:41

I am in the same boat as Felicia. She needs to extract live currency info, I need to extract live stock quotes. I do it with biterscripting ( http://www.biterscripting.com ). Google up “biterscripting stock price” and it will find lots of scripts people have written. Hope this helps.

8. asas
    February 27, 2010 at 08:04

I cannot download the zip-file, can you fix the page?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/warrlou2/public_html/blog/downloads.php:8) in /home/warrlou2/public_html/blog/downloads.php on line 76″

9. Boyan
    February 27, 2010 at 18:23

Sorry about that, I will try to fix it.

10. Boyan
    February 27, 2010 at 19:12

Ok, the button should be working now. Thanks for notifying me of this!

11. monu
    March 17, 2010 at 06:33

code is very good …
    and it help me a lot..
    but in this code if want to change web address then will we have to change hierarchy of nodes.. and how can i find out the tag names in site which is subscribe to getting news. like here pubdate, description, title etc..
    thanks and if u have solution plz mail me

12. Kevin
    March 25, 2010 at 05:07

HI,
    Code is very useful but i have a doubt. If the XML file contains the attributes like

How do we write the BasefeedParser in the List parse parse() method .
    Here , it can retrieve the content anything between the tags like content

Please help asap.. Thanks in advance..

13. Ahmed
    April 11, 2010 at 20:01

This is very helpful as I’m trying to make an kuler (adobe) for android, but how can I pass a picture to the RSS feed and the message list?

14. frankie
    April 19, 2010 at 07:35

Does this also parse the “cdata” ? As a matter of fact i tried it but it is not supporting cdata tags . Can you suggest any modifications so as to parse the “cdata” tag also

thanks

15. Steven
    April 28, 2010 at 15:07

Great Tutorial! Got me up and running in less then 15 minutes. Exactly what I’ve been looking for!

16. diamant-x
    April 28, 2010 at 19:01

Hi!
    Thanks for this code, I’ll try to adapt it to a slightly different XML structure.
    Allthought that, something weird is going on when I try to run this code without modyfing it.
    In a Virtual Emulator on th ePc it’s ok, but when I run it on an Android Device directly the List can’t be load.
    I activated the debug mode and this is what comes up:

04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:50:21 +0100
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at com.warriorpoint.androidxmlsimple.Message.setDate(Message.java:57)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at com.warriorpoint.androidxmlsimple.BaseFeedParser$5.end(BaseFeedParser.java:77)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at android.sax.RootElement$Handler.endElement(RootElement.java:197)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at org.apache.harmony.xml.ExpatParser.endElement(ExpatParser.java:159)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at org.apache.harmony.xml.ExpatParser.append(Native Method)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at org.apache.harmony.xml.ExpatParser.parseFragment(ExpatParser.java:506)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at org.apache.harmony.xml.ExpatParser.parseDocument(ExpatParser.java:467)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at org.apache.harmony.xml.ExpatReader.parse(ExpatReader.java:329)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at org.apache.harmony.xml.ExpatReader.parse(ExpatReader.java:286)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at android.util.Xml.parse(Xml.java:87)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): at com.warriorpoint.androidxmlsimple.BaseFeedParser.parse(BaseFeedParser.java:81)
    04-29 00:58:12.707: ERROR/AndroidNews(10820): … 15 more

Don’t know whats the matter about it ^^’. If You could tell please. thanks!

17. Juan
    May 25, 2010 at 08:40

Thanks a lot! It really helped me.
    One hint maybe:
    Xml.parse(this.getInputStream(), Xml.Encoding.ISO_8859_1, root.getContentHandler());
    if your are trying to parse ISO :)

18. kevin
    May 27, 2010 at 04:41

HI,
    CAn anyone help me how to extract the attribute values in the XMl file. I’m able to retrieve the normal data inside the tags but i need for the like example below:

i want to extract the value kevin and age value 20. how to modify the item code for the same????

19. Andrew
    July 15, 2010 at 19:52

Can Someone please show us how to extract attribute values?!?!?! I have been trying to learn java for android and this is the farthest i have gotten. Please someone post how to!

20. calmchess
    July 15, 2010 at 22:06

Well i downloaded your code however eclipse complains
    Project has no default.properties file so i can’t use your simplified version luckily enough i’m a good enough programmer to yank out everything except the SAX code and make it work…..you should simplify all 4 parse methods as they all have a use in one use case or another.

21. GreenRob
    August 6, 2010 at 04:54

Hi,
    I found this article extremely helpful. Thanks for that. I had a very painful problem though.

In the message.java you are using

static SimpleDateFormat FORMATTER =
    new SimpleDateFormat(”EEE, dd MMM yyyy kk:mm:ss ZZZZ”);

That could cause problems on none US devices.

This worked:

static SimpleDateFormat FORMATTER =
    new SimpleDateFormat(”EEE, dd MMM yyyy kk:mm:ss ZZZZ”, Locale.US);

Regards,
    Rob

22. PB
    September 11, 2010 at 05:43

Hii.. ur post is superb.. i downloaded and it work fine.. but when i try to do by my own by using the site http://finance.yahoo.com/, i got stuck.. i want to retrieve some data from there.. please help me how should i proceed.. help me with some code..
    Thanks..

23. Peter!
    September 14, 2010 at 02:39

@GreenRob Really necessary your change! Until i changed the formatter declaration the program didnt worked. Thanks ^^

24. sathish
    September 27, 2010 at 10:28

Great Job.. Keep it up..

25. pawan
    October 4, 2010 at 13:06

Hey thanks a lot for the method, it really took a while for me to model it for my own file. Was very helpful though!!

Kudos!:D

26. Davide Manca
    October 6, 2010 at 05:22

It doesn’t work for me, I downloaded the code, imported the project in Eclipse Galileo, exported the apk and run in my Device (Htc Desire 2.2), but nothing happens…I only see the title of the app and a blask background…

27. ali
    October 10, 2010 at 03:50

hello i download and try it on emulator what it shows me only blank page on emulator what should i do now kindly reply me as soon as possible

28. ali
    October 10, 2010 at 04:01

same problem with me as david manca having kindly tell me

29. leandro
    October 22, 2010 at 14:18

where is the code?

30. vijay
    November 2, 2010 at 07:13

Hi,
    I have just downloaded the code and imported the project to directory.
    I am trying to run the project but it doesn’t gives any output gives just a blank screen.
    what could be the reason?
    kindly tell.

31. lacasrac
    November 12, 2010 at 03:41

how to grab enclosure tags?

like:

32. LuMiMan
    November 15, 2010 at 12:50

I think your rss url is broken

static String feedUrlString = “http://www.androidster.com/android_news.rss”;

33. Avinash.HM
    November 25, 2010 at 01:49

hi,this is a great sample ,but i am trying to call this in the second view in my app, but not able to load to listview,could you help me out please

34. Dattatraya Kunde
    November 26, 2010 at 05:14

hi,
    I want to parse any XML and display it in listView. I am new in Android devlopment.
    me trying this code, I am using android 2.2, but it gives the exception like ” java.net.UnknownHostException:Hpst is unresolverd”
    please give me some solution.

Many thanks
    Dattatraya

35. vongr\\
    December 12, 2010 at 17:10

36. john
    December 17, 2010 at 06:07

hi,
    Its very helpful.
    I want to develop an app.The main purpose is, I want to store web services data(after parsing) in android sqlite database.

please help me out on this.
    Thanks in advance.

37. john
    December 17, 2010 at 06:09

hi,
    Its very helpful.

Its urgent.please help me out on this.
    Thanks in advance.

38. sdlim
    December 21, 2010 at 02:30

hi
    it’s very helpful for me

thanks ^^

enalapril
    ACE inhibitor
    treatment of hypertension
    10 to 40 mg po qd
    hypertension, dizziness
    lithium, potassium

This is the xml iam trying to parse. Modified the code. But the output is blank. Iam in need to do this urgently please help me/

40. bridesmaiddresses
    January 24, 2011 at 22:32

Select the simple patterns on one side of the dress in complementing colors on the rest part.

41. pierce
    January 26, 2011 at 21:40

well, that’s a good way to put it up a notch, nice insights works well in clientele explanation and information resource option.
    Apple Mac Repair Frisco

42. Chris
    February 9, 2011 at 16:46

I just wanted to thank you. I had to develop an android app without any previous experience in java or mobile apps.
    Your code helped me shitloads!!

43. Domen T
    February 10, 2011 at 13:26

Hi, I’m building a hunting application for which I need weather information in form of a RSS feed from the following site: http://www.meteo.si/uploads/probase/www/fproduct/text/sl/fcast_si-region_latest.rss

I’ve used the code from this site and it list the feeds, but when I click on an item it doesn’t connect it to the site for more information … I would like to get temperture and wind information but I don’t know how to because I’m a beginer to programing.

I would very much appreciate any help especially in form of a code that would solve my problem.

Thanks in advance

44. wouter
    February 28, 2011 at 10:28

Eclipse can’t load it as existing project (I get some error that description is not OK or whatever), and thanks to the total lack of comments I’ve no idea what it’s supposed to do…

45. ezio
    March 3, 2011 at 06:19

thanks a lot for this tutorial, having big problems here reading feeds, my emulator cannot connect to internet… dunno why :(

46. Ramesh
    March 7, 2011 at 08:34

nice

47. John Kwest
    March 15, 2011 at 01:15

Hmmmm, seems to only work with the stock feed. ??? why’s that

48. Lauren Siegert
    March 25, 2011 at 14:17

It’s working with a feed I tried: http://gonu.com/rss.aspx?path=mhockey

49. Joost
    April 15, 2011 at 06:39

why is the rsshandler class included if it is never used?

50. kamal
    April 22, 2011 at 11:29

In the list view I want to bind the data according to the design pattern I have make(Means making another layout and bind it wit the listview)… I didn’t get the procedure mention in your code … so, please guide me.. to.. perform the task… thank.. u for u’r concern…

51. rez
    April 22, 2011 at 23:53

neat, thatnks!

52. kamal
    April 23, 2011 at 04:29

04-23 14:04:54.197: ERROR/AndroidNews(3127): android.sax.BadXmlException: Line 1: Root element name does not match. Expected: ‘o31′, Got: ‘http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/VTrakPOD.DTO:o31′

53. kamal1
    April 23, 2011 at 04:29

54. Chandra
    April 26, 2011 at 12:25

Thank you very much. i need help to extract restaurants from the list in the given web site. is it possible to extract?
    It help me a lot

55. Javier
    May 23, 2011 at 11:33

Hi,

I found your code very useful for my project… However, how can I store the xml file (on a specific folder such as raw or something else within /res) and then load it from there and not from the net?

56. rajinder
    May 24, 2011 at 03:16

hi thanks for the code it helped me a lot.
    i have a question. how i open description on click on title?
    actually i want to take print out of description when i click on a particular title. Please help me.
    thanks in advance.

57. rajinder
    May 25, 2011 at 03:46

hi thanks for the code it helped me a lot.
    how i open description on click on title?
    please replay at rajinder4981@gmail.com

58. Herve Leger outlet
    July 11, 2011 at 16:32

I discovered your own blog site on the internet and check several of your earlier posts. Still keep in the really good run. I just additional your Feed to my personal MSN News Readers. Looking for toward reading more from you later on!?-

59. reza
    July 18, 2011 at 05:30

i want to parse

but with your code it didn’t show anything

60. Abdala
    July 19, 2011 at 05:17

Thanks a lot it has been very useful spending a time on work it really helped …..hope to get more from you for the Android beginners ….:)

61. chuck
    August 9, 2011 at 20:14

Hands down the best RSS/XML tutorial on the web, trust me, i’ve tried them all and ran into a lot of issues to the point I was just going to give up. This code is solid! I suspect you write books or something, because as a beginner, i could actually follow this

62. Nicola
    August 12, 2011 at 09:15

cool man! definately a great point of start for XML and Android!

63. kyawswarthant
    August 23, 2011 at 22:10

Hi bro,
    Pls give me your download link. This post is very useful for me(android beginner).Thanks .

respectfully,
    kyawswarthant(@myanamr)

64. kyawswarthant
    August 23, 2011 at 22:13

Hi bro,

sorry, I see your download link. :)

thanks

65. JIJU
    September 29, 2011 at 09:13

Good work but it is too hard to follow for newbies. Kindly provide some explanation also..
    Thanks

66. alexo
    October 24, 2011 at 19:26

i cant see anything on the list :(

67. Dan
    October 28, 2011 at 13:30

This works great for me but I am having a problem when trying to read tags. The code does not process the line of data. Is there something simple I’m missing?

68. Dan
    October 28, 2011 at 13:38

update: that was supposed to be that I’m having a problem reading content:encoded tags.

69. harshadura
    October 31, 2011 at 22:32

awesome article!! thx lot.. it worked perfectly!

70. durgesh pathak
    November 11, 2011 at 08:14

after importig androidxmlsimple project i am getting error in
    MessageList.java RssHandler.java: BaseFeedParser.java: please help me

71. ged
    November 23, 2011 at 04:38

cheers mate, it’s good to have some working XML-handling code (just compiled it and it runs fine…) as a basis to work from. was really getting stressed with some other code example that i could not get to work!

@Durgesh i too had a bit of hassle. what fixed it for me was right clicking on the project, selecting “Properties” and ticking a box in Android properties that corresponded to my build platform of choice.

72. hina
    December 6, 2011 at 07:07

hi,it’s a very good tutorial but i cannot resolve those errors that i faced I’m too much confuse that my web service is made of php so i save the XML file in wamp server that i call in android as a client that i used parse the xml data in table form give give me the code that how i parse the xml data in table form.

and please explain the function of below line:
    static String feedUrlString = “http://www.androidster.com/android_news.rss”;

73. arhmn
    December 18, 2011 at 06:14

I have a proxy server that prevents normal connections to go out to the internet, what would i have to add? ;\

74. Glen
    January 9, 2012 at 09:01

Hi. I am an Android newbie, but found this article really interesting. However, when I import AndroidXmlSimple into Eclipse Indigo, I get this error: Unable to resolve target ‘android-3′. I have the Android SDK Platforms from 2.2 to 3.2 installed and Eclipse shows that under the Android SDK and AVD Manager. Any ideas? Thanks.

75. Glen
    January 9, 2012 at 10:08

Ok. I solved it by changing ‘android-3′ to ‘android-8′. Thanks.

76. Raj
    January 11, 2012 at 02:42

i hav a problem ..it shows me error when i did as you said

77. mm
    January 17, 2012 at 20:37

cool

78. Tran
    February 4, 2012 at 22:09

thank you !!

79. Sebastin
    February 9, 2012 at 00:56

Please can u guide me how to get images in url to display on listview.

80. Milan
    March 3, 2012 at 08:30

Thanks that will help me alot

81. upasna
    March 21, 2012 at 05:58

Sir,
    i cant see anything on the list, its only “Android News” rest is dark screen plz give me solution.

82. maryam
    April 14, 2012 at 09:17

hi,can you please tell me how to add and remove node in a simple xml file in res/xml folder? I search a lot but they could not solve my problem…
    thanks in advance

83. jb
    April 17, 2012 at 04:58

hi
    Am developing a vehicle tracking system using android as my tracking device that receive the GPS coordinates and sends them to center base, but am confused on how to connect to the central server and also my application does not give my current location when i try to run it on an emulator.

please need your help

Regards jb

84. Lane
    September 15, 2012 at 13:36

The code worked out of the box for me…except it only retrieves the headlines, not the text pr pictures. I am sure this is a wordpress.com (not org) RSS failure of some kind…where should I look to address this? I’m not sure how to actually look at the contents of the feed in a text editor, which I suspect should be my first step.

85. dr
    October 16, 2012 at 01:04

Hi I’m a beginner and I want to have on of the pages on my app display rss feeds. I came across you code and downloaded your code and ran it but the screen was blank. Did I do something wrong?

86. Remi Latinwo
    April 29, 2013 at 13:10

Hello please help.
    Why is this code not working for my feed:
    i have already changed the RootElement to ‘html’ in the BasedFeedParser class. I get errors of:
    org.apache.harmony.xml.ExpatParser&ParseException: At line 14, column 2: mismatched tag
    Please help, what am i doing wrong?

87. omer
    August 28, 2013 at 08:25

hi!!

when i run your code it only gives title of rss.. how can i get other fields?

88. Flappy Bird Hack Invincibility
    April 17, 2014 at 02:37

While previously, they were a tool for serious businessmen to get in touch with their
    clients and colleagues, they are now being used by all segments of the population, including young
    people. If nothing else, download a few to simply see what they’re like
    and you’ll probably have a greater appreciation for your Android phone.
    Using a 3G or Wi-Fi connection users achieve such a high speed internet access as with a
    broadband connection on their home computer.

89. vipul
    May 24, 2014 at 09:39

my posts are visible in the app, but the links to the posts are not working…..

90. louis vuitton pocket books
    July 6, 2014 at 16:13

Hello, thank you seller, fast delivery, corresponds photo, I recommend!Item as described. Love the design but not sure about the quality. Seems a bit cheap. Probably would not last long, but you get what you paid for And those who are actively engaged in running or cycling, that is inflated legs, these jeans should be taken with some reserve. Pockets

91. GT Racing 2 cheats
    July 7, 2014 at 22:52

Hello, I would like to subscribe for this blog to obtain newest updates, thus where can i do it please assist.

92. Rickey
    July 24, 2014 at 07:25

Par Appreciative Inquiry approche positive à la construction d’équipe,
    vous pouvez transformer vos résultats . une personne qui prédit
    le résultat d’un jeu de une conjecture mathématique lui donne un avantage .
    Le marché du jeu vidéo est une industrie $ 50,000,000,000 globalement de façon tout les acteurs de ce bénéfice de l’entreprise de personnes jouant à des jeux , ce n’est
    pas un jeu d’enfant .